Recently I read a poem that really spoke to me. Here is just the first portion:
"I stand by the door. I neither go too far in, nor stay too far out. The door is the most important door in the world--it is the door through which folk find God. There's no use my going way inside and staying there, when so many are still outside, and they, as much as I crave to know where the Door is."
I was challenged by this. As I pondered what being a door-keeper means for us, here in C.A., I wrote the following: Sometimes, I long to go "way inside"; to be surrounded by those who are like-minded. We were created for perfect fellowship with one another as well as with our Creator, but we won't find it here. We have eternity to look forward to experiencing it in it's fullness! Until then, we are here to show people the way to the Door. Let us not be content with creating little "heavens" here, becoming deaf to the cries of those who are still outside but want to be in. Let us keep watching at the door for those the Father is drawing to Himself, so that we might take the hand of the one's seeking and place it on the Door. Sometimes being a door-keeper can feel lonely; sometimes I long to go deep inside; to be with close friends. But there is also the inexpressible joy of getting to be one who helps another person find the door and once found, welcoming him or her into His Body. So, I too will stay by the door. God's presence is not spacial--it is as full near the door as it is deep inside. Yes, by His grace, wherever we live, we will stay by the door. May we have eyes to see, ears to hear and hearts to discern those seeking the Door.